9.04.2008

Yoho - Lake O'Hara

My dear reader and unknown public, you're probably already sick of alpine lakes. But I have so many more. We're proceeding a little out of order now, mostly because I misclassified my photos. The parks kind of merge together and to the wildlife it's all the same.

We took a bus to Lake O'Hara in Yoho Nat'l Park. This is 10 miles in and you have to reserve the bus way in advance. You could also hike in, but I wasn't up for that.

From the lake, you can take other trails further into the mountains. The trail we picked took us by Lake Mary Schaeffer first. All these lakes have little melting glaciers attached to them, which you can't see in this picture because this glacier was almost all gone.

I also refer to this hike as the hike of death. It involved rockslides (see rocks below - that is the trail) and one cliff face. I like to post pictures of people because it shows we were physically present.

Lake Macarthur is the final destination, another cobalt blue lake with a glacier and wildflowers. Here C demonstrates that yes, you can swim in glacial water. It's very very cold. This lake is colder than Shadow Lake.

C took a fancy to photographing mushrooms. We have ~50 pictures of various types of mushrooms, but don't worry, I'll spare you the pain of sifting through them all.

This picture doesn't look like much, but it's a wilderness corridor. That's a natural bottleneck created by geography. Animals are forced to either walk through this corridor or take Hwy 1. I sat here for about an hour waiting for a bear to walk by, but none did. Grizzly bear season is between Aug 15-Sept 15, but we only saw 1 grizzly bear during our trip.
My bear story. So the day before we hiked to Shadow Lake, a grizzly bear sat on the bridge obstructing the trail. Various hikers who encountered the bear either ran or took pictures. Self preservation v preservation of your death in digital mode. I know I'd take pictures. But the bear didn't come out for me.