8.20.2006

Vacation b4 school

We went to the Natural History Museum in LA on Saturday. OMG they had SO many dead birds, all stuffed. Some of them looked newly dead. We saw drawers of birds, and their feet, and their sawed off heads. The special exhibit was about Europeans who sacrificed gold and bodies to a bog. For some reason, the bog preserved skin but not bones, so the bodies were patches of leather. It's an awesome musuem, it's huge and took entirely 2hrs longer than I thought. It's also right across from USC, which is a beautiful school. I wish I went there for undergrad.

Then we went to Santa Monica Beach, which is like Mission Beach, done properly. Fewer timeshares, deeper beach, same deep blue water. I love Santa Monica, it's got an excellent shopping district, it's close to good Japanese food, I saw this bar that's just made for me, and it's got that beach! I dragged C and C shopping. They've got a Zara there (black and white European clothing). A sizeable number of female shoppers sported Zara shirts. We got gelato at this incredibly good gelato place, with a hundred flavors. I got strawberry. Damn good.

Had dinner at Shabu hachi...which is a shabu shabu place, but we got shabu nabe. It's like kimchee soup flavored hot pot. It's what sumo wrestlers eat. It's a good way to start the school year. This guy's blog has a picture, we didn't get the seafood, we got beef and chicken meatballs.

Yep, school starts tomorrow. It's never ended for me though, I've already got 4 meetings set up next week. I've been reading up on this new "Get Things Done" system by David Allen, which breaks terrifying projects down into manageable components. I think the key is to focus less on school and more on other things.