4.01.2007

Spring Break!

We went to the newly remodeled Griffith Observatory in LA. You park in Hollywood and take this 30min shuttle up this scary hill up to the observatory. There's about 20 million children inside, but it smells and looks nice and new. We saw a giant tesla coil generate electricity, a periodic table complete with physical examples of most of the elements, and sat through a planetarium show. The museum itself relies mostly on video exhibits and pre-recorded lectures, but then again, video art seems to be the newest thing.


I pre-ordered cupcakes from Sprinkles. It's where Hugh Hefner's girlfriends go, it's on Rodeo Dr, and there was this huge line when we got there. Luckily, pre-orders don't wait in line. We got red velvet, strawberry, chocolate, and peanut butter. It's $36 for a dozen, and they're insanely good. Don't worry, we didn't consume them all. Distributed them to C's parents and my brother.

Next on the schedule, dinner at an ultra fancy restaurant in the Walt Disney Concert Hall. I get really uncomfortable in fancy restaurants, I'm not sure I actually appreciate the food, and I'm always way underdressed. Patina had a good selection of seafood though, for those of us that dislike steak, chicken, and veal. C got a baby lamb that was probably the size of Muffy, and I got halibut.

Its cherry blossom season.

The real reason we came to LA: C's a big classical music fan, so we actually attended a concert by the LA Philharmonic in the Walt Disney Hall. I prepared myself well in advance. I had Ravel on my ipod, and I really tried to appreciate it. All I can say is that I didn't fall asleep. And the Romeo/Juliet section that followed, by a Russian non-Tchaikovsky composer, was actually really good.