3.18.2007

Chicago / Northwestern

Took the red-eye to Chicago on Thursday night, which meant arriving at 5am on Friday. Three hours of airport sleep and a McDonald's breakfast while watching CNN (no audio, only closed-captions) later, it was off to the city on an elevated train. Went to the Art Institute of Chicago. There was a special exhibit of Impressionist & Post-Impressionist pieces, so there was a bit of a line:


A guy in a bunny costume followed by a camera crew was heckling passersby, asking them what they would do for a box of Peeps. I would have gone to the store and paid $.59, but these people were willing to make jackasses of themselves for a national TV audience:


After the museum, headed to Millennium Park, which like the museum is on the bank of Lake Michigan. It has this outdoor concert hall, which I thought was a bad Frank Gehry knockoff. Turns out he actually was the designer. I guess he has run out of new ideas:


Millennium park also has a brightly polished mirror sculpture that exists for people to try to take artsy pictures of themselves in. Here is my attempt:


I was starting to run short of time, so I caught the train to Evanston, which is about 10 miles north of Chicago. It is also directly on the lake, and the cold wind blows off the water. The temperature was about 40, but the wind-chill brought it down to 28, and I felt under dressed. Evanston has a Berkeley feel - lots of coffee shops, used bookstores, and a large Whole Foods. Northwestern has the old, back-east school thing going for it:


However Kellogg (named after the Corn Flakes [seriously]) does not have quite the same charm:


What it lacks in charm, it makes up for by being maybe the best school for general management in the world. Also the interior is much snazzier than the concrete bunker outside belies.

It was 5pm by the time my interview was done, so I headed back to the airport for some downtime and more McDonald's. I flew back through Vegas, so I didn't get back to San Diego until after 1am. Here is what the Vegas airport looks like at midnight: