4.08.2008

Detroit

I make Detroit look good. In reality, it's comparable to Baltimore. Except Baltimore has a nice revitalized waterfront. Detroit - well I'll get to it in a bit.

This picture includes three things. Three things that define Detroit. A gambling boat - representing ephemeral illusory hope. The bridge to Canada - representing an escape to a better, unknown, exotic frontier. And the river connecting it all, the Detroit River, an everlasting reminder of good things to come. What is it that Anne Frank said, that in spite of it all I believe people are really good at heart? Well...I believe the city will return to its old glory, one day.

Caught a Detroit Tigers v White Sox game at Comerica Park. That picture isn't distorted, the tiger is chewing at a giant bat.


Inside the park. Everyone's lining up for daiquiris. I just got ice cream. The game was at a weird time, 355pm. And somehow the Tigers got Dontrelle Willis! I like it when I recognize pitchers.


Across the street. Isn't that the most awesome hockey bar ever? And its full.

Visited the newly renovated, easily accessible to all kinds of people, DIA -NYtimes review. I gotta admit, it's a damn good museum for its location. Detroit isn't on the list of places to visit for most Americans, but this museum should be. The collection is admittedly a little eclectic, but it's huge and has quality pieces from famed artists, many American, but many European as well. It's not as good as something you'd find in Los Angeles, but it's not as bad as you'd expect from a museum in a mid-size city. I was very impressed by the quality of the museums in Toledo and Detroit.

Finally, classic Detroit...it's always been spelled WrenCen in my mind but that's not what it's really called =P