7.07.2007

American Indian Museum & Live Earth

Quick programming note: Out on the East Coast, we call them American Indians, not Native Americans.

So I went to the American Indian Museum. Actually, I went there to eat. They've got this cafeteria that serves food from all kinds of Indian tribes. Bad news: it was all tasteless and sucked. Good news: I went by myself so I easily got a table right during the lunch rush, and since I was sitting alone, no one wanted to sit anywhere near me, so I was surrounded by 12 empty seats while everyone else was frantically looking for seating. And yes I took my sweet time.

Since I was already there, I checked out the museum. Whoever the hell designed this museum needs to be dragged out back and shot and dumped in the cesspool that is the Reflecting Pool. Because it's like Post-modern building design meets art from before time started. And it's not a good mix. In fact, I could not find the entrances to the exhibits on floors 1-2, there may not be exhibits, I don't know. Floor 3 consisted of a Vietnam-wall like video display wall, where they play a video but you can see your reflection in the video wall. Oh wait, it also had deer dresses. That was kind of cool, except the designer set all the displays on these curved ultra reflective clear walls so you can't actually see where you're going.

Floor 4 is so completely bad I'm not even going to discuss this, only that it involved walking into diorama displays but the doors aren't clearly marked, and have like a 5' clearance.

So the museum has deerskin dresses, beaded things, and
Bibles..
and Guns.


At least the crazy design looks good on the outside, and serves one purpose: it lets people cool off in the heat.

One of the live earth concerts was also playing outside. It's free because Al Gore put it together at the last minute (24hrs ago), the venue is really small, and Garth Brooks was the main guy. I didn't see him...I saw some Native American artists. But you can see everyone's really excited like they're watching someone really famous, but they aren't.