7.23.2007

Monuments are Monumental

As our loyal readers will know, I was visiting in DC for a few days last weekend. It was great fun, and I took many pictures, many of our nation's great memorials. I was going to make a big post with a comprehensive memorial tour, and maybe I still will. However tonight I was scanning in pictures from the album chronicling my grandparents' honeymoon. I'm not sure exactly when that was, but more than 50 years ago, when everyone still had cars like this (that's my grandfather looking under the hood):
Anyway, they drove across the US, and one of their stops was Washington DC. Here is proof that Monuments are the same forever, as they should be.

Front of Lincoln Memorial now:

Front of Lincoln Memorial then:


Lincoln now:

Lincoln then:


Washington Monument now:


Washington Monument then: