7.08.2007

Georgetown

The first triple digit day, so I had to do something that involved a lot of air-conditioning. Shopping. Since I've already visited the Pentagon Mall, it was time to check out Georgetown. You can get there via bus from Union Station, provided your bus drivers don't all suddenly need to take a break and disappear leaving everyone standing in the heat for 20min.

Once I got there, I visited the official mall. It's not really airconditioned nor did people actually go inside, but it's got a Victorian (?) feel to it.


Tried to make it to the school, but I failed, due to the heat. Francis Scott Key's memorial was as far as I got. They've got his bust and a few boards explaining his accomplishments. You can see the general architecture of the area in the background. It's a beautiful area, where you'd go to see cars that aren't drivable on real roads and women dressed in clothes you can't get in DC. Shopping wise, you see the same chain stores you see in any other strip mall and not much else...but the restaurants are 99% French bistros and they plaster their windows w/reviews ala NYC. I ate at Dean & Delucca for lunch. Greek salad. By far the most popular shop in town. They provide shaded seats and jazz musicians and security guards.


Then I trekked down to the waterfront where they're building a new park. It's revitalization at its best!

Saw Ratatouille here. I think the theatre is in the same building as the Ritz Carlton and the Ritz's fancy restaurant.
I also discovered that Georgetown has canals. You know I love industrial warehouses and canals, so I took a bunch of pictures and feel compelled to share them. That's the mall on the right in this shot: