7.29.2007

Last Weekend

What do you do on your last weekend in DC? Well, I didn't really do anything. Not for lack of things to do, but rather, I think the heat finally got to me.

Yes, on week 10, I decided it's too hot/humid for activity. To be fair, it was an especially hot and humid day, that terminated today with 4 hours of thunder/threatened rain + some actual rain, and my apartment (for unknown reasons) was also super hot.

Yesterday I dragged myself far enough to visit Dunkin Donuts, only to find that they don't really sell donuts any more, and the line was out the door. So then I went to Whole Foods to do my grocery shopping for the week and get a pink homer simpson style donut. I've finally realized (that also took me 10 weeks) that Whole Foods is my most metro-accessible functioning grocery store. I visited three whole foods before I realized this. Unfortunately, Whole Foods is also the most expensive grocery store on the planet except for maybe bristol farms. I actually picked my tomatoes by price. Also, it's impossible to buy bread or animals without talking to the bread/animal person, and I don't do that kind of thing. So I settled for slightly moldy bread (whole foods bread is by definition so fresh mold grows instantly), and random packaged sausage. Oh, Whole Foods doesn't sell donuts either.

On week 10, I finally made a meal to last myself the entire week. My coworkers would have been proud. It consisted of all the things left in the fridge piled into a pan + the whole foods sausages. My last week of lunches will be spaghetti w/sausage mixed with a pound of frozen spinach and dinner will be couscous drowned in tomatoes, leftover frozen chicken strips, and parsley. I've mastered microwave cooking.

Today I made it as far as Union Station, where I ate and hung out at the bookstore. I pretended I was in Tokyo hanging out at shinjuku/takeshimaya. The illusion worked because in Tokyo and in DC, the rain confined me to the bookstore in the train station. However, Tokyo doesn't have crazy security guards following you around, thinking you're going to steal a magazine and stuff it into your super small purse or down your super short skirt.