7.28.2007

I really admire a bunch of professors, judges, and legal professions, but you don't get a chance to see those people in San Diego. However, this is DC.

Work sent me to the American Constitution Society's Convention yesterday. It's like the ideological opposite of the Federalist society, and they had insanely smart panelists. I think the majority of speakers clerked for at least one supreme court justice. Now I didn't say the panelists were engaging....I only note their superior legal intellect. Some of them are actually assholes to non-Yale/Harvard grads, but that doesn't really matter when everyone at the convention (save me) graduated from Yale or Harvard. Also, this was a con law convention. That means I saw the author of my con law textbook, the author of my treatise, and my con law professor. It also means attendees had some type of real interest in con law litigation. I'd have that interest if I had any real chance of employment as a con law lawyer (and I'd like to), but item #41 I learned this summer: I don't. Null. Zero. Let me clarify. By con law, I don't mean first amendment law or basic civil liberties stuff. I mean representing people in Gitmo, working in voter election law, or in one guy's case, writing the patriot act. That's pretty amazing stuff.

All the same though, I really wish I was at Comic-Con instead.