7.01.2007

Orioles v Angels

I named my old pet mouse after a player on the Angels, so I thought I owed it to my mouse to see his namesake perform in person. That meant trusting the Maryland public transit system to get me to Camden Yards, home of the Orioles in Baltimore (1hr away).

Well, the public transit system failed me. Long story short, do not depend on multiple public transit systems for destinations over an hour away. I ended up having to share a cab with 2 other strangers just to get to the park, and it took 2 hours total to get there and 2 hours back, and the game was really only 2.5 hours. I had to go because I spent $40 on the ticket in the first place. I had an incredible seat though, right against the rail in the second set of boxes, in the shade behind home plate. I think overall this entire journey cost me ~$80 and four hours of transport.

Angels won 4-3, and we were saved from extra innings in the bottom of the ninth on a questionable call. And ya, Vlad was awesome.

Wikipedia tells me this ballpark inspired the creation of Pacbell and Petco Parks. I can see that, because of the reliance on tall faux abandoned buildings (Petco) and the fact that the Orioles and Giants share the same colors and possibly the same fonts. Plus, it's across the street from the Ravens' stadium, and makes Baltimore look like a nice place! I couldn't stay long though, as I got to the game late and had to depart instantly in order to catch the bus back.

Hall of Fame wall on their walled off street:


Walled off street....I never made it to the other end because there's no reentry after exiting, and I'm not about to wander around Baltimore without a map.

Third base side of the stadium. Ya the upper bowl was completely empty. That building on the right looks like the Cingular logo doesn't it?


Vlad at bat!