6.09.2007

Arlington Cemetary 2

So then, still lost, I hiked all the way up to the little house on the hill. The sign tells me it's Arlington House and or the Robert E. Lee House. I think there's a slavery museum inside but the man wouldn't let me in. But you do get a view of the DC skyline.

See that little domed building on the right? That's the Jefferson Memorial. This is the best show I'll ever get, because it's not metro accessible. Although if you were really crazy, you could get a closer better shot from the Yellow line as it crosses the Potomac. To give you an idea of how far I've come, I live near the Capital building way way back there.

Looking down you can also see the Lincoln Memorial. If you were bat crazy, you could have walked here. About halfway down that road is the subway station.

Then I had two choices. Follow the crowds of overweight neon colored people to the tomb of the unknown soldier, and watch the changing of the guard, or go see the Iwo Jima Memorial. I picked the second. I couldn't do both, because they're about two miles away from each other and I think it's mile from the hill down to the metro. In simple terms: too much walking.

The Iwo Jima Memorial is so far that it's not actually on the tourist map. You need to physically leave the cemetary, and the walk some MORE. So after leaving the cemetary and walking a lot, I saw this "bell tower." The Netherlands gave it to us as a symbol of friendship. The writing says "from the people of the Netherlands to the People of the United States."