6.30.2007

Folklife Festival

The Smithsonian has taken over the Mall with its Folklife Festival. It runs this weekend and next. This year's focus is on the roots of Virginia, the Mekong River, and Northern Ireland. I plan to check this out in more detail next weekend, but I had to walk through it on my way to the Air/Space Museum.

It's like a giant arts and craft festival, only focused on specific areas of the world. You can get food from various regions...Mekong had thai and chinese food and Ireland supplied smoked salmon and cold cut platters. The food actually comes from local D.C. restaurants, so it's not really good, overpriced, and I'm not sure it really represents each region. The Museum also brings in dancers, craftsmen, cooks and musicians from each area. I think it's a good educational thing for kids.

Virginia's local items included border collies + goats, and the people who sing acapella on the subway for money...they performed on stage.

Shot of Mekong/Virginia border.
Smithsonian Castle.


On my way to the air/space museum. I got pretty close to the capitol, will check that out later. You can see all the people just sweltering on the benches.