6.09.2007

Pentagon Mall + Alexandria

** This series of posts starts @ Arlington 1. Start there and read up **

Next I went to Clarendon (metro stop in Arlington) for lunch at the Hard Times Cafe. They serve 4 types of chili and let you sample all four before you pick. Unfortunately, it's not my style - it's almost all meat and by almost I mean all. Also, I went alone, and even though the restaurant was completely empty, they tried to kick me out as soon as I put down my fork. Oh and other reasons why I hate them now: their food costs $1 more than on the online menu; they only offered me west coast draft beer; they charged me $3 for ice tea; their spicy chili is tame.

Then I went to the Pentagon City mall. It's so rich and fancy they had to attach a Ritz-Carlton to it. You can buy Ritz-Carlton gear at the hotel store. I went around looking for the cheapest price on soda. The winner....Asian family selling Cajun food.

Next I visited Alexandria. And by visited I mean, exited the train (not the train station) and took pictures from the platform. Someone told me Old Town is accessibly only by car or bus, and this seemed true. It's about a mile from Reagan airport that's why there's so many hotels. Here's one side of the platform:


On the other side there's the George Washington Mason Monument. I didn't go in, but I looked at it for a long time because the trains were on a 30min delay, and have been all week.

Finally I came back to Union Station.