6.27.2007

Baltimore

My workplace remembered that I'm a science major, so they sent me to Johns Hopkins hospital today to do some research. Which meant I got to go to Baltimore.

My coworker and fellow science major drove us....first we stopped for Starbucks. I got a Raspberry Mocha which is damn good. Then about an hour later, we arrived at the hospital...

After printing about a thousand pages, we went with her friend to get Indian food. A "10 minute walk" turned into 30+, in hundred degree weather with high humidity, but I got to see town (not downtown).

On the way I saw a few signs like this:

And on the way back, people like this told me to stop taking pictures, so I did.

My coworker gave me a driving tour of downtown and the waterfront...it's really pretty, but we didn't stop b/c it was about a hundred degrees. Baltimore as a city has super wide streets, and there aren't a whole lot of cars or people on the streets. 25% of the buildings are boarded up or abandoned, so there's these wide open spaces of nothingness. It's kind of dead. And there are adult oriented stores everywhere.

I came home on Marc (maryland train) from Penn Station, which isn't as nice as the Penn station in NYC. In fact, right outside, you can see one of the examples of boarded up buildings....this is the old post office.