6.23.2007

Portrait Gallery/American Art Museum

Went to the National Portrait Gallery. It's absolutely huge, four floors full of stuff, and amazing. They have this great Saul Steinberg exhibit, that unfortunately ends on Sunday. He's famous for this:

I saw a version at the museum thats not as complete, in black and white, and reverses the direction so that it looks from the pacific into new york, and I liked that version a lot better...

The Museum also showed me that Georgia O'Keefe can paint more than flowers: (full size)

It's also got a great collection of American art, which is quintessentially American - overdramatic and romanticized. They have portraits of all the presidents up through Clinton, and a good collection of paintings of Native Americans (not by Native Americans) as well as a collection of modern american art. The current folk life exhibit is also uniquely American, and either very good or not really art, hard to tell.

They also have the Calder fish.


Civil war stuff: (I combined a sculpture and a painting)


AND a painting entitled "View from Oakland."


The museum is so big I didn't get to see all of it, but it's easy to get to so I'll probably check the rest out later.

Edited to add: I also want this picture.